Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    CLINTWOOD ? As one of the few senior female athletes in the school, leadership comes easily for Clintwood's Tammy Mullins.

    Mullins has been an integral part of Green Wave athletics for five years now, but her attributes extend far beyond the playing surface.

    When Tammy and her brother reached an age where they were capable of looking after themselves, the Mullins family began taking in foster children - recently adopting one of the kids, Chelsea.

    Jealous at first of the attention her parents were pouring on others, Mullins soon learned that she had a lot to learn.

    "When Chelsea came, I was jealous," Tammy said. "I didn't want anything to do with her. But I've grown up a lot since then. I've learned there are kids out there who need people. It's so sad to see these kids come in from just horrible situations where they may have been abused or not had anything. You never really realize what some kids go through until you see them in your house.

    "It has put everything into perspective for me. Me and my brother used to complain all the time. We didn't know how well we had it until we saw what others had been through."

    Mullins has embraced her parents' generosity and has taken it a step further. She volunteers her time to other foster families.

    "I mentor kids with no parents," she said. "I take them to the park, play games, take them out to eat, whatever."


    She takes what money she has and uses it to give others a chance at a moment of happiness.

    "If it makes the kids happy, money is not an issue," she said. "I have things and I want to share with those who don't."


    Planning to attend college at Virginia-Wise, Mullins may have to put some of her altruistic endeavors on the back burner - but it's only temporary.


    Even her chosen career path, nursing, will put her in a position to help both on the job at home.


    "I want to make a difference in someone's lives," she said. "I want to be an RN and I will most definitely be a foster parent."


    As if all that wasn't enough, Mullins finds time to be a premier athlete. In volleyball, she earned all-Lonesome Pine District honors as a junior and senior. This year, she also snared an all-Region D selection.


    "It's pretty rare to have a player who can do everything well," volleyball coach Debb Barnett said. "She's good on the front row, she can play defense on the back and is a good server. She's an intelligent player and she's very strong and athletic."


    As fall turns to winter, Mullins' game reaches a new level. She was the LPD player of the year in basketball after averaging 17.5 points per game, five rebounds and 6.7 steals.


    "I've worked hard on basketball," Mullins said. "When I'm not practicing with the team, I'm practicing myself. I get out there and play with the boys - just do whatever it takes. This is my last year and I wanted to make the most of it."


    Although honored to be all-district in both sports, one honor ranks higher in her mind.


    "All-district in basketball means more because I had to work harder for it," Mullins explained. "I had to compete against better competition."


    Not only has she excelled at volleyball and basketball, Mullins also picked up track this year to fill a void on the team. Despite competing for the first time, she's participating in the high jump, long jump and 200 meter dash as well as the 4x100 and 4x400 relays.


    "It's something else to keep me active," Mullins said. "I don't like sitting around with nothing to do, so I thought I'd try it."


    Mullins still finds time for what's important to her.


    "I probably put more time in on schoolwork that I do sports or anything else," she said. "It's hard to get good grades and stay active, but education is very important to me. College is important to me, so I have to take care of business in the classroom."


  2. #2
    Inactive Member statechamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    28
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    that was a nice lil write up on Mullins... so, she's going to UVA-wise and playing volleyball..... is that it.. or is she gonna try playing basketball too.... I have no clue... I'm not to up to date on all of this...

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Lb_Balla33's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,098
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    i heard she was going to MECC
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/TheGreatOne/221_2127.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Glory_Days's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 18th, 2003
    Posts
    963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    i know for sure she isnt playing basketball at the college...cause coach clay told her they didnt need her..and from their record last year...they need help from somewhere
    "To be the man, you've got to beat the man."

  5. #5
    Inactive Member UK5's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2004
    Posts
    205
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    its a shame that a coach would tell an athlete that, espically one with the ability to play on the college level......tammy is a great athlete and they could of used her on the team to contribute, like you said glory from the record last year they need some help from somewhere..................

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    Tammy would be a good person to have on a team even if she never played. She would push the others to be better and in the kind that can make a dreadful practice fun. Most of all she is a good person, sometimes at least *lol* (If she reads that I'm dead).

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member OAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2003
    Posts
    1,435
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    the need help from somewhere...you're exactly right...it is the coach, not the players...

    The players are a very talented group of girls, but injuries took a big big toll on them...they were predicted to be in the top 5 if I'm not mistaken last year...the year before as Freshmen, they were 15-15 or something like that I think...they are good, but Coach Clay could be better IMO...You don't have to agree with me, just by what I saw at the games, and what some of the girls have told me

  8. #8
    Inactive Member statechamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    28
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    well.. I'll finally be eligable next season.. and yeah tammy would help out a lot.. she's a good player...

    all honesty though.. we need post players ..... i think coach clay did a good job recruiting for next season..

  9. #9
    Inactive Member 1930's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2004
    Posts
    28
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    It wasn't coach Clay that told her that she didn't need her. Coach Clay called her several times encouraging her to come and try out. One of the Lee boys told her not to waste her time that they had their team. Good way to recruit for the future.
    Bleed Green

  10. #10
    Inactive Member imported_six4three's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    571
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Good write-up on Tammy Mullins

    shouldn't you be posting who wrote the article??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •